A Trader Joe’s checkout. In 2020? 2021? Is it me or are chins like… extremely erotic?
Sarah Einspanier’s play Lunch Bunch, last seen in Clubbed Thumb’s Summerworks, will happen (again!) some / one day with The Play Company and Clubbed Thumb (NY Times and Time Out Critic’s Picks). In 2020, Sarah’s play HOUSE PLANT premiered at New York Theatre Workshop’s Next Door (“highbrow / brilliant” in New York Magazine’s Approval Matrix; Lambda Literary Award Finalist). Sarah teaches a class called “Structure(s)” at the National Theater Institute.
A BIT ABOUT THE PLAYWRIGHT
1. When did you start writing plays? If you had a moment where you realized you wanted to write, what was it?
Eek, I forgot! Let’s circle back to that–
2. How did you come to write your OOB play? Was there a particular inspiration behind its creation? How has it developed?
I had a deadline and a deep desire to write something set in a Trader Joe’s.
3. What are 5 words that describe who you are as a playwright?
What’s “form” if not formatting?
4. What/who are some of the major influences on your writing?
Writer Claire Kiechel <3
Actors Ugo Chukwu and Keilly McQuail <3
5. What’s one fact someone would never guess about you?
My fear of what I call Complete Sentences? Well, no, they might guess that…
6. What are some of your favorite plays?
Dr. Ride’s American Beach House by Liza Birkenmeier (!!!) and Disclaimer by Tara Ahmadinejad (!!!)
7. Any new projects you’re working on or shameless plugs?
This thing I wrote, I FORGOT TO TELL YOU, will be in (is in?) the Brooklyn Rail’s June 2021 issue.