Two siblings navigate the anniversary of their father’s death during quarantine.
Jay Koepke (he/him) is a creative based in Colorado. His work has been developed and produced in New York (PIETRA OR THE STONE BABY, ADRIFT, THE IDYLLIC LIFE: A BAVARIAN FAIRY TALE), New Jersey (THE END IS FAR, THE CHIEF’S LAST DAY, THE COST OF LIVING, A NEW RELATIONSHIP), Chicago (WHAT MAKES THE BUDDHA SMILE?) and Pittsburgh (THE OAK TREE) among others. Jay has been a finalist for the O’Neill National Playwrights Conference and the New Jersey Playwrights Contest and a semi-finalist for the Bay Area Playwrights Festival. He’s twice previously been part of the Samuel French Off Off Broadway Short Play Festival. His work has been seen at the Kennedy Center / American College Theatre Festival. In addition to writing plays, he also loves creating portraits of the LGBTQIA+ community. Find him on insta @jay_cupcake or at www.jaycupcake.com.
A BIT ABOUT THE PLAYWRIGHT
1. When did you start writing plays? If you had a moment where you realized you wanted to write, what was it?
Back in 2007 I had the most wonderful aha moment via Julia Cameron’s The Artists Way and I’ve been writing plays ever since.
2. How did you come to write your OOB play? Was there a particular inspiration behind its creation? How has it developed?
This play was one of my creative outlets during covid quarantine. Playwriting is such a solo activity, it was possible to write. Play producing on the other hand… had to wait until the world could open back up.
3. What are 5 words that describe who you are as a playwright?
Quirky, funny, dark, jarring, earnest
4. What/who are some of the major influences on your writing?
5. What’s one fact someone would never guess about you?
6. What are some of your favorite plays?
The Skryker by Caryl Churchill, Passion Play by Sarah Ruhl, The Whale by Samuel Hunter, Tribes by Nina Raine, The Red Letter Plays by Suzan-Lori Parks, Cock by Mike Bartlett, The Brother/Sister Plays by Tarell Alvin McCraney…
7. Any new projects you’re working on or shameless plugs?
DM me if you’re a short film producer looking for some great scripts, or if you’re a queer person who wants their portrait taken @jay_cupcake 🙂