God Gives Ryan a Very Important Job
With a slip of the fingers, God has accidentally deleted the universe; now, it’s sole survivor Ryan’s job to sit down and help him rebuild. All Ryan has to do… is remember EVERYTHING.
Dylan MarcAurele is a writer and composer based in New York. Awards: 2023 Richard Rodgers Award; 2020-21 Dramatists Guild Foundation Fellowship; 2021 Jonathan Larson Grant Finalist. He wrote book/music/lyrics for the sell-out hit THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NEW YORK: THE PARODY MUSICAL, created the 28,000-follower Instagram account @RHONYmusical as seen on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, and penned the queer horror spoof M3GAN: THE PARODY MUSICAL. Additional composing credits: LEWIS LOVES CLARK (words by Mike Ross); TEA WITH G (words by Deborah Berenson); THE LAND OF FORGOTTEN TOYS (“This score could compete with a lot of far more famous holiday attractions…You might want to catch this show just to hear MarcAurele’s tunes.”—Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune). He has written songs for several youth musicals licensed through Broadway Licensing and Theatrical Rights Worldwide. B.A., Harvard University, ’16. www.dylanmarcaurele.com
A BIT ABOUT THE PLAYWRIGHT
1. When did you start writing plays? If you had a moment where you realized you wanted to write, what was it?
Two years ago, in 2021. I was one of the musical theater composers for the Dramatists Guild Foundation Fellowship and was super inspired by the work of the playwrighting fellows (namely, Eliana Pipes, Calley N. Anderson, Juan Ramirez, Jr., and Regina Velázquez).
2. How did you come to write your OOB play? Was there a particular inspiration behind its creation? How has it developed?
I was trying to remember how a TikTok trending sound went, and I wondered what it would be like if I had to recover the entire universe from memory alone.
3. What are 5 words that describe who you are as a playwright?
Irreverent, unhip, satirical, dumb, curious
4. What/who are some of the major influences on your writing?
My heroes, collaborators, and friends: Mike Ross, Catherine Weingarten, Mike Ackerman, and Deborah Berenson.
5. What’s one fact someone would never guess about you?
I am the world’s worst driver.
6. What are some of your favorite plays?
The Ferryman, Fences, The Inheritance, anything by Annie Baker, Mrs. Harrison, The Pillowman
7. Any new projects you’re working on or shameless plugs?
Lewis Loves Clark (2023 Richard Rodgers Winner), an epic folk tragicomedy with words by Mike Ross.